Good governance requires the right ingredients (the right mix of board members!), a pitmaster to provide leadership and accountability, and careful mixing and stirring of candid discussions, transparent practices, and sound governance policies. The Board of Directors of the California BBQ Association ensures our organization is governed well by following a recipe.
Our recipe for good governance
- Our Board of Directors are voted on by our members each year and are the organization’s strategic leaders. They make decisions and establish goals as a team. No one director has the authority to write, change, or exercise a policy. A quorum, or minimum number of directors, must vote to take action. When we make a decision, that decision is documented in resolutions.
- The officers of the board are elected by the directors. They include the President to preside over board meetings, the Secretary who records meeting minutes, the Treasurer who oversees finances, and the Vice President to serve in place of the President in their absence.
- We maintain corporate minutes of all board meetings (and committee meetings for committees that are authorized to act on behalf of the board).
- All written policies are reviewed annually and changes are documented.
- Our treasurer’s report is reviewed by the board monthly and published for our members to document how the organization commits its resources.
- We maintain a written travel and expense reimbursement policy which ensures (a) adequate cost controls are in place, (b) travel and other expenditures are appropriate, and (c) provides a uniform and consistent approach for the timely reimbursement of authorized expenses. It is the policy of the CBBQA to reimburse only reasonable and necessary expenses actually incurred by volunteers supporting the organization.
- A focus on inclusion is at the forefront of our decision making. The diversity of our volunteers helps ensure that decisions are based on a full spectrum of perspectives.
- We are conscious of the risks of a potential conflict of interest and hold ourselves and each other accountable to full disclosure should a potential conflict exist.
If you have questions or would like to learn more please contact the board by sending an email to email@example.com.